I've been tracking several energy lists and blogs over the last 12 months. Numerous emerging energy trends are coming into clear view
25 Key Disruptive Energy Trends
1) Shift from an Oil dependent economy >> Gas and Frozen Gas /LNG Economy (2010-2020) >> Distributed Energy Economy (2025-2050?)
2) Shift from single supplier dependence (EU, USA) '>> Diversification of Suppliers (oil, gas)>>Diversification within actual suppliers too
3) People will not pay exorbitant prices for conventional energy, sooner switch to sustainables (Economic feasibility ? Energy In/Energy out ratios and environmental-footprint, and technology feasibility all taken into account>> How does one comparison shop? price per BTU ? per impact on society? >>New Energy Taxes for Global Warming /Cooling?>>National or internationl Energy Certification rating system needed? a Good Housekeeping seal of approval for energy? ) (NEW-UPDATED)
Fossil Fuels (heating, transport,) >>Smarter Greener sustainable energy alternatives; more efficient PV solar, nano-solar, wind, wave, tide, geothermal, material recycling & high temp (plasma) burning; coal gasification; bio-diesel, hybrid battery, fuels cells, supercaps, >>Advanced greener sustainable energy alternatives: hydrogen economy, affordable fuel cells, microbial fuel cells, solid hydrogen pellets in your pocket, advanced bio-diesel, dumpsite gas reclamation, pocket sized biofuel micro-reactors
4) Conventional (farm and forest residue - limited volume and marginally economic) bio-diesel and ethanol >>naturally-grown & genetically modified (GM )blue green alga-based (fresh, brackish and salt water) hydrogen, bio-diesel and ethanol, produced at point of use with closed-cycle carbon recycling.
5) Shift from a centralized energy system >>distributed energy system (2025) (energy on the spot, generated where & when needed)
6) Externally supplied energy >>self generated energy applications (macro, micro, nano levels) ie peizo electric.
7) Energy Reliance (economic, political, technological ) i.e. EU on Russian gas >>Energy self-sufficiency ie. Sweden by 2015
8) Peak Oil / Peak Gas, uncertainty of current supplies, suppliers ie Russia & GazProm >> Wild Card ? Severe unexpected energy supply disruption; supply shortages? >>Wild Card? Energy lottery supply goes to highest bidder vs market regulation >> Wild Cards? Governments (ie. Russia) continue to squeeze oil companies for revenues (raise taxes retroactively, etc) (NEW UPDATED)
9) Wasteful electricity grid distribution (copper wires) >>super efficient distribution grid (nanowires, superconductivity) 2020-2030
10) Point-of-Use Electrical Energy waste >>conservation (smart buildings, rooftop gardens etc)
11) Increase lighting efficiency, >> migration chain 'Incandescent to fluorescent to OLED
12) Increased heating efficiency'i.e. conventional centralized heating >> gold nano-particle enriched centralized heating
13) Traditionals take a stand: Strong Nuclear comeback; >>nuclear waste accelerated half life degradation >> New oil reverses coming online 2010-2015 >> dirty coal to cleaner coal
14) Energy & Politicals closely coupled: Strong Local Energy monopolies (EU, & Russia squeezing suppliers) >>open, cross-boarder competition (EU yes, but in Russia --unlikely in near term)>>Resource & Energy wars? (well as if we don't have them now....) (NEW UPDATED)
15) New Exotic Alternatives 2020 -2030? >>moon-based Helium 3 mined for fusion on earth? Feasibility ?
16) New Exotic Alternatives 2020 -2030?'>>near surface methane hydrates (frozen gas);
17) New Exotic Alternatives 2020 -2050? >>17,000 feet deep mid ocean ridge, spread zones contain supercritical brines saturated with the gases
18) New Exotic Alternatives 2020 -2050?' >>some yet-to-be-discovered new-to-the-world energy source(s) ' see organic thermoelectricity (NEW)
19) New Exotic Alternatives 2020 -2050? >> harnessing lightning ?
20) New Exotic Alternatives 2020 -2050? >> harnessing ball lightning?
21) New Exotic Alternatives 2100+ >> Hurricane/Typhoon energy recovery system
22) Producer is consumer and visa-versa (fire pit, fireplace (pre-History) >> consumer decoupled from producer (Now) >>producer slowly disaggregated; consumer to consumer (C2C) Energy Trading; Peer2Peer (P2P) Energy swapping? ;2015-2020 >>Energy Reciprocity; Consumers sell excess energy back to central producer 2010
23) Open System; waste heat, energy & waste byproducts (CO2 & other greenhouse gases) >>Closed cycle, carbon recycling Energy System; Utilization of entire lifecycle; CO2 reclaimation, storage, synthesis, reuse >>Atmospheric vortex engine (AVE) harnesses waste heat, converting it back into electrical energy
24) Energy Biomimicry; >>Synthetic photosynthesis (2025-2050) ? ..the holy grail of energy?
25) Appliances that are energy hogs >>appliances that are super energy efficient
Framework & above materials will be used for a longer article on energy trends
(...thanks to Mike Hollingshead, Georgia Benois, Peter Leach and John Petersen for comments & additions to my initial draft list)
Expert, Consultant and Keynote Speaker on Emerging Smart Technologies, Innovation, Strategic Foresight, Business Development, Lateral Creative Thinking and author of an upcoming book on the Smart Economy "
To arrange for an in house presentation or briefing on smart technology see here
.....Strategy without action is a day-dream; action without strategy is a nightmare"- old Japanese proverb
".......Ours is the age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to." - H. Mumford Jones
"Without changing our patterns of thought, we will not be able to solve the problems we created with our current pattern of thought." A. Einstein
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
P. S. if this is your first visit to my blog, please go to our Welcome page