The Times on May 24, 2007 informs us that:
"Google has expanded its mission to lay bare the world’s information by investing in a company set up by its co-founder’s wife that lets users trawl their genetic profile online. The move comes as Google, keen to present itself as a benign Big Brother, radically extends its efforts to build precise profiles of online consumers to target advertising campaigns more precisely. "
It emerged yesterday that Google has invested $3.9 million (£1.9 million) in 23andMe, the biotech company co-founded last year by Anne Wojcicki, a former health sector analyst who recently married Sergey Brin, the search giant’s billionaire co-founder. By encouraging individuals to learn about their own genetic information, 23andMe aims to create an “open resource” that can help to accelerate drug discovery and bring about a revolution in personalised medicine. "
“Even though your body contains trillions of copies of your genome, you’ve likely never read any of it,” 23andMe states on its website. “Our goal is to connect you to the 23 paired volumes of your own genetic blueprint (plus your mitochondrial DNA).”
Full story >> [...]
Should we now be looking at adding DNA ID theft to the list of other ID theft frauds? Will dating agencies now help us find our true love based on 'suitable' gene pool?
Will BANS (body area networks) and BIo IT specialists be the nex hot field?
Walter Derzko --"Changing the world, one idea at a time" ©
Expert, Consultant and Keynote Speaker on Emerging Smart Technologies, Innovation, Strategic Foresight, Business Development, Lateral Creative Thinking and author of an upcoming book on the Smart Economy "
The Smart Technology Blog: The Smart Economy -- Read, enjoy, explore, speculate, comment !!
To arrange for an in house presentation or briefing on smart technology see here
- ".....Strategy without action is a day-dream; action without strategy is a nightmare"-old Japanese proverb
- ".......Ours is the age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to." -- H. Mumford Jones
- ".......Without changing our patterns of thought, we will not be able to solve the problems we created with our current pattern of thought." --A. Einstein
- ".......Change is difficult, but complacency and stagnation are surefire showstoppers..." --Walter Derzko
- ".......Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead
- ".......Small minds discuss people; Average minds discuss events; Great minds discuss ideas; --Anon
P. S. if this is your first visit to my blog, please go to our Welcome page