In the past week, Craig Venter grabbed headlines with the announcement he was close to creating a synthetic genome, housed within a bacterial cell and constructed chemically from the building blocks DNA.
Meanwhile, other scientists are working towards the even more ambitious goal of building “synthetic life” – creating an entire living cell from scratch using the basic chemical ingredients.
Last week at a meeting in Switzerland, an Italian researcher announced that he had taken a step in achieving this goal by synthesising proteins in cell-like compartments. I can't wait for the day that it happens--Genesis 2.0 may be much closer then many people are predicting
Last week at a meeting in Switzerland, an Italian researcher announced that he had taken a step in achieving this goal by synthesising proteins in cell-like compartments.
I can't wait for the day that it happens--Genesis 2.0 may be much closer then many people are predicting
Full story in New Scientist July 7, 2007 (Vol. 194 No’s 2611) called Life Begins Again; page 6-7 (embargoed till Juy 5th)
Walter Derzko -"Changing the world, one idea at a time"©
Walter Derzko teaches at the Certificate Program on Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the University of Toronto, School of Continuing Studies, which starts in the Fall of 2007
Expert, Consultant and Keynote Speaker on Emerging Smart Technologies, Innovation, Entrepreneurship, Strategic Foresight, Business Development, Lateral Creative Thinking and author of an upcoming book on the Smart Economy "
The Smart Technology Blog: The Smart Economy -- Read, enjoy, explore, speculate, comment !!
To arrange for an in house presentation or briefing on smart technology see here
- ".....Strategy without action is a day-dream; action without strategy is a nightmare"-old Japanese proverb
- ".......Ours is the age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to." -- H. Mumford Jones
- ".......Without changing our patterns of thought, we will not be able to solve the problems we created with our current pattern of thought." --A. Einstein
- ".......Change is difficult, but complacency and stagnation are surefire showstoppers..." --Walter Derzko"
- .......Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead
- ".......Small minds discuss people; Average minds discuss events; Great minds discuss ideas; --Anon
P. S. if this is your first visit to my blog, please go to our Welcome page