UPDATE Nov 2010: HYFNs have been approved for manufacturing as Fullerene Water Solution (FWS) drink in Ukraine by the Ministry of Health as of Nov 2010. It's the first nanotech based health drink in the world. For information about availability contact me privately by email.
Water-soluble fullerenes (also known as buckyballs) or hydrated fullerenes appear to possess an impressive list of in vivo and in vitro effects which have been researched by Ukrainian scientists and are summarized below:
The following table was reproduced with the permission of the authors:
Basic biological properties of aqueous solution of the hydrated C60 fullerene (HyFn) detected to the present time (May 2005)
In vitro experiments revealed that HyFn with C60 concentrations up to 100mM/l:
1. Are non-toxic for cells including hepatocytes;
2. Do not suppress, but promote the growth of isolated micro-organisms (microbes, fungi, etc.) and improve the survival rate and viability of cells (e.g., spermatozoa) and of frozen-thawed cells;
3. Do not inhibit cell respiration;
4. Do not suppress membrane-bonded ATP-ase activity;
5. Possess greater anti-oxidant properties then vitamin E, b-carotene and BHT (2,6-di-tert-butyl-4-kresol);
6. Stabilize cellular membranes and enhance their resistance under adverse conditions;
7. Do not affect blood coagulation;
8. Increase by 5-108C the temperature of biomolecules denaturation (DNA, albumin, collagen and etc.);
9. Increase catalytic activity of isolated enzymes (e.g., serine proteases).
In vivo experiments revealed that HyFn with C60 total doses up to 25mg/kg of b.w.:
1. Are non-toxic, not immunogenic, none allergenic;
2. Increase resistance of plasma membranes to damaging factors;
3. Positively influence anti-oxidant and energetic systems of organisms;
4. Possess radioprotective properties due to suppression of excess level of free radicals;
5. Possess antihistaminic and allergy-suppressing abilities, i.e., act as anti-inflammatory agents,
6. Positively influence activity of adrenergic, GABA-, hystaminic- and, especially, serotoninergic systems and, as a consequence, enhance adaptogenic functions of organisms; adaptive homeostasis
7. Show positive neuroprotecting effects (e.g., in Alzheimer's disease) and non-specific analgesic effects;
8. Do not kill tumor cells, inhibition of development of cancer pathologies, cancer metastasis,
9. Possess anti-atherosclerotic (anti-atherogenic) properties;
10. Are able to protect against viral infection (e.g., influenza, etc.): (HyFn do not kill viruses and microbes, but do not allow them to incorporate into cells).
Source: Fullerenes, Nanotubes, and Carbon Nanostructures, 13: 363-376, 2005; Is the C60 Fullerene Molecule Toxic?!
Partial list of academic references:
- G. V. Andrievsky, A.D. Roslyakov, T.V. Gorbach, V.K. Klochkov. NEW DATA ON BIOLOGICAL ACTION OF AQUEOUS SOLUTIONS OF FULLERENES AS PROTOTYPES OF NEW CLASS OF DRUGS. The 3-th Biennial International Workshop in Russia "Fullerenes and Atomic Clusters", IWFAC'03, June 30 - July 4, 1997, St. Petersburg, Russia. Book of Abstracts, p. 264.
- G. V. Andrievsky, V.K. Klochkov, A.D. Roslyakov, N.O. Mchedlov-Petrossyan. MOLECULAR-COLLOIDAL SOLUTIONS OF NATIVE FULLERENES IN WATER AS A NEW AND PERSPECTIVE SUBJECT FOR BIOPHYSICAL AND BIOMEDICAL STUDIES. Conf. Physics of Biological System (with international participants), 1998, Kyiv, Ukraine, 1998, P. 109-110.
- G. V. Andrievsky, A. D. Roslyakov, V. K. Klochkov. MOLECULAR-COLLOID SYSTEMS OF FULLERENES IN WATER AS PROTOTYPES OF THE NEW CLASS OF PHARMACEUTICALS. The Electrochemical Society Interface (195-th Meeting, May 2-6, 1999, Seattle, Washington) Spring 1999, Abs# 689.
- G. V. Andrievsky, A.V. Zhmuro, L. V. Zabobonina. FIRST CLINICAL CASE OF TREATMENT OF PATIENT (VOLUNTEER) WITH RECTAL ADENOCARCINOMA BY HYDRATED FULLERENES: NATURAL COURSE OF THE DISEASE OR NON-SPECIFIC ANTICANCER ACTIVITY. The Electrochemical Society Interface (197-th Meeting, May 14-18, 2000, Toronto, Ontario, Canada), Spring 2000, Abs# 700.
- Andrievsky G.V., Burenin I.S. ON MEDICINAL AND PREVENTIVE EFFICACY OF SMALL DOZES OF HYDRATED C60 FULLERENES AT THE MODELING CANCER PATHOLOGIES. The Electrochemical Society Interface (201-th Meeting, May 12-17, 2002, Philadelphia., USA), Spring 2002, Abs#1004.
- G. V. Andrievsky "HYDRATED FULLERENES - SUPRAMOLECULAR COMPLEXES OF CARBON AND WATER MOLECULES. STRUCTURE, PROPERTIES, POSSIBLE MECHANISMS OF THEIR UNIQUE BIOLOGICAL ACTIVITY". The Proc. Of XII-th International Conference on Selected Problems of Modern Physics. (Joint Institute for Nuclear Research, Dubna, Russia, June 8 - 11, 2003), p.107.
- G. V. Andrievsky. WHY THE HYDRATED FULLERENES, THE SYSTEMS OF "CARBON WATER", CAN REVEAL SUCH SURPRISING BIOLOGICAL PROPERTIES?! The 6-th Biennial International Workshop in Russia "Fullerenes and Atomic Clusters", IWFAC'03, June 30 - July 4, 2003, St. Petersburg, Russia. Book of Abstracts, p.21 (https://www.ioffe.ru/IWFAC).
- S. M. Andreev, A.A. Babakhin, A.O Petrukhina, I.M Andreev, V.S. Romanova, G.V. Andrievsky. IMMUNOLOGICAL PROPERTIES AND MEMBRANE PERMIABIBLITY OF WATER-SOLUBLE FULLERENE C60 DERIVATIVES. Ibid. p. 235.
- Babak O.Ya., Andrievskiy G.V., Galchinskaya V.Yu., Klochkov V.K., Kondakov I.K., Shitova G.B. HYDRATED C60 FULLERENES PREVENT PROCESS OF EXPERIMENTAL ATHEROSCLEROSIS DEVELOPMENT AND FACILITATE THE ATHEROSCLEROTIC LESIONS REVERSION. The Electrochemical Society Interface (205-th Meeting,, May 9-May 14, 2004, San Antonio, TX, USA), Spring 2004, Abs#466.
- Andrievsky G.V., Burenin I.S. HYDRATED C60 FULLERENES AS VERSATILE BIO-ANTIOXIDANTS, WHICH IN BIOLOGICAL SYSTEMS REGULATE FREE-RADICAL PROCESSES BY THE "WISE" MANNER. Nano Conference 2004, September 14-16, 2004, St.Gallen, Switzerland, Abs.#261.
- G. V. Andrievskiy, V.K. Klochkov, L.I. Derevyanchenko. Hydrated C60 Fullerenes and Their Aqueous Molecular-Colloidal Solutions. Book of abstracts: The 6th Tetrahedron Symposium 29 June - 1 July 2005, Bordeaux, France, 2005, TR 271.
- G. V. Andrievsky. SURPRISING POSITIVE BIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF HYDRATED C60 FULLERENE AS THE BASIS FOR CREATION OF WIDE SPECTRUM OF PRODUCTS WITH UNIQUE BIOACTIVITY. Ibid, TR 272.
- G. V. Andrievsky, I.S. Burenin. HYDRATED C60 FULLERENES AS VERSATILE BIO-ANTIOXIDANTS, WHICH IN BIOLOGICAL SYSTEMS REGULATE FREE-RADICAL PROCESSES BY THE "WISE" MANNER. Ibid, TR 273.
- G. V. Andrievsky, V.Yu. Galchinskaya, V.K. Klochkov, I.K. Kondakov, G.B. Shitova. NEW DATA ON HIGH ANTI-ATHEROSCLEROTIC EFFICACY OF HYDRATED C60 FULLERENES AT THE EXPERIMENTAL ATHEROSCLEROSIS. Ibid, TR 274.
- Andrievsky G.V., Klochkov V.K. HYDRATED FULLERENES AS PROTOTYPES OF NEW CLASS OF DRUGS, WHICH CAN BE APPLIED AS POWERFUL AND "WISE" ANTIOXIDANTS, ADJUVANTS, HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES, FOOD SUPPLEMENTS AND COSMETIC INGREDIENTS. Book of Abstr.: "Ukrainian-German Simposium on Nanobiotechnology", December 14-16, 2006, Kyiv, Ukraine, #80.
- Andrievsky G.V., Klochkov V.K., Derevyanchenko L.I. HYDRATED C60 FULLERENES AND THEIR AQUEOUS MOLECULAR-COLLOIDAL SOLUTIONS. Ibid, #81.
- Andrievsky G.V. SURPRISING POSITIVE BIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF HYDRATED C60 FULLERENE AS THE BASIS FOR CREATION OF WIDE SPECTRUM OF PRODUCTS WITH UNIQUE BIOACTIVITY. Ibid, #82.
- Andrievsky G.V., Kondakov I.K., Burenin I.S. HYDRATED C60 FULLERENES AS VERSATILE BIO-ANTIOXIDANTS, WHICH IN BIOLOGICAL SYSTEMS REGULATE FREE-RADICAL PROCESSES BY THE "WISE" MANNER. Ibid, #83.
- Andrievskiy G.V., Galchinskaya V.Yu., Klochkov V.K., Kondakov I.K., Shitova G.B. NEW DATA ON HIGH ANTI-ATHEROSCLEROTIC EFFICACY OF HYDRATED C60 FULLERENES AT THE EXPERIMENTAL ATHEROSCLEROSIS. , Ibid, #84.
- Tykhomyrov A.O., Nedzvetsky V.S., Andrievsky G.V., Klochkov V.K. THE NOVEL DATA ABOUT ANTIOXIDANT AND NEUROPROTECTIVE EFFECTS OF HYDRATED C60 FULLERENE WATER SOLUTION (FWS). Book of Abstr.: "Ukrainian-German Symposium on Nanobiotechnology", December 14-16, 2006, Kyiv, Ukraine, #66, p.159.
- G. V. Andrievsky. WATER STRUCTURES ORDERED BY THE SPECIFIC MANNER AS UNIVERSAL REGULATORS OF BIOLOGICAL PROCESSES: WHAT HYDRATED FULLERENES - THE SYMBIOSIS OF PURE CARBON AND WATERS - HAVE TOLD ABOUT IT. Book of Abstr. Of VII International Crimean Conference "COSMOS AND BIOSPHERE"(https://www.science-center.net/cbc/index_r.php), October 1-6, 2007, Sudak, Crimea, Ukraine, p. 202-203.